Thursday, October 21, 2010

Wednesday, 10/20/10:

WEIGHT before eating today:  157.5

Daily Calorie Goal:  1200 or less 
Total calories eaten today:  1145.  O.M.G.!!!!!!!

Exercise today:  45 minutes on the treadmill / 150 calories burned.  Shocking!


Today, I sensed a better weight-loss frame of mind affecting my... frame of mind.  I was hungry all day.  Starving, really.  But hey, that goes without saying.  I'm always hungry, to some irritating degree.  But today, I tried to be at least conscious of WHY, rather than just whining subconsciously about the repulsive feeling.  


I decided that today would be a day for reflection and making changes.  For the past 31 days, I have begun each day by lumbering onto my scale, and recording my weight at the top of a clean sheet of paper.  Then, over the course of the day, I have recorded the calories in everything I've eaten, and totaled them up at the end of the day.  My goal, always, is to never go over 1200 calories.  Unfortunately, as I've ashamedly chronicled here, I have failed to meet my 1200-calorie goal many, many times in the past 31 days.

So today I decided to really examine the "whys" of what's happening.  I've written before that I know I eat less calories over the course of an entire day if I hold off eating anything in the morning as long as possible.  Some days, this is easy - and other days, such as this past Monday...  I break down and eat 1000 calories of crap for lunch, to soothe my pissed-off stomach.  

I've decided today that my system simply can't handle being empty in the morning, day after day after day.  I need to have SOMETHING in my stomach besides hot tea or coffee before noon.  However, I do not believe that it must be protein or whole grains or dairy for me to be healthy, or for my metabolism to get a "jump start" in the morning.  I also do not believe, because it has not been my experience, that eating meat and cheese and other dairy products all day in place of carbs is the best way for me to lose pounds and keep them off.

No.  In my experience, it's often quite a different scenario.  It's really all about nutrition and balance for me.  I understand the necessity of good nutrition, and I take that very seriously.  I need to drink some milk every day, I need to eat fruits and vegetables every day, and I know I have a dietary need for a certain amount of whole grains and fiber, as well as lean meats and other protein sources.  I assist the foods I eat with a few supplements of my own, to give my system a little boost:


This is my multi-vitamin, until baby is 100% done nursing.
Daily B12 is a necessity, thanks to my 34 years of dealing with Crohn's Disease.
I know I don't get enough "healthy oils" in foods, so I take these.
This fall I've started taking Vitamin C, and I do think it's keeping the colds away.
I can either take zinc in tablet form to fight colds, or use the metallic-tasting Zicam or Cold-Ease.  I prefer to skip the disgusting taste!
This will be my next multi-vitamin, when I finish with the Prenatals.  I took these until October of 2007 and loved the results.  A few details below:
 
  • Compare to One-A-Day Weight Smart
  • Multivitamin Dietary Supplement
  • Quality Guaranteed
  • Child Resistant Cap
  • Specially Formulated to Help You While You Control Your Weight.
  • Meets Or Exceeds 100% Daily Value of 17 Key Daily Essential Vitamins and Minerals. Egcg, A Natural Green Tea Extract, to Enhance Your Metabolism** Chromium and Important B Vitamins to Help Convert Food to Fuel**Vitamins C,E,Folic Acid, B6 and B12 to Help Support A Healthy Heart**
  • Chromium, A Metabolism Promoting Nutrient**Helps to Keep Your Metabolism Going Strong**As You Age, Your Body Composition Can Change and You Can Gain Weight. to Help Support Healthy Metabolism, Take This Complete Multivitamin, Specially Designed to Help You While You're Controlling Your Weight.

The best part about my day today was that I stuck to my calorie-counting, even though I was downright miserable doing it.  All I consumed until 7:00 p.m. was 2 cups of coffee, a grapefruit, a cup of chicken broth, a glass of ice tea, baby's leftover string cheese, a cup of fresh acorn squash, baby's leftover red pepper, 40 dry roasted peanuts (yes, you have to count them out...), a can of Fresca, and 4 pieces of sugarless gum (yes, you have to count those 10 calories, too).

When I got home at 7:00 p.m., I had only eaten a total of 625 calories all day.  This is a HUGE accomplishment for me!!!  I ended my day with a healthy dinner:   Two slices of Ezekiel toast with two scrambled eggs and two slices of turkey bacon on top.  The entire sandwich contained 360 calories.  I followed that with my "dessert" of a mini box of baby's raisins, for a final 130 calories.  And yes, the Diet Mountain Dew I washed it all down with was HORRIBLE because of the HORRIBLE artificial sweetener in it, but I ended the day at 1115 calories and that made it worth it for me, at least today.  My 45-minute treadmill walk after dinner helped boost my spirits even more.  I was sore and tired at the end of it, but on the whole, I feel better about today than I have about any of the previous 30 days.  

That's got to count for something, right?

YUMMY.  AND good for you!  BONUS!!!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment